A temporary hospital for COVID patients is being built in Chongqing, a megacity in southwest China, on Tuesday. Photo: CNS/AFP via Getty Images
A new COVID disaster China is being hit by a surge in infections that has prompted the return of lockdowns, including at some manufacturing sites that supply the West.
- China reported record no The number of infections this week comes amid lockdowns and mass testing that have fueled unrest and darkened the country’s economic outlook. Schools in Beijing returned to online teaching.
Why it matters: In addition to the human misery for the world’s most populous country, the effects will be felt around the world, Axios China contributor Bethany Allen-Ebrahimian reports from Taipei.
- supply chains is likely to be disrupted, leading to higher prices in an already battered global economy.
Rare protests began today in the Xinjiang region of far western China. After a deadly fire, the crowd screamed for hazmat-suited security guards, after growing anger over prolonged COVID lockdowns. This is reported by Reuters🇧🇷
- “End the lockdown!” Protesters shouted that an apartment was burned in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang 10 kills🇧🇷
What is happening: The moment of truth for China’s zero-COVID policy has finally arrived.
- Both party leaders like we saw at the beginning of the pandemic, they’ll have to plunge much of the country into draconian lockdowns — or they’ll decide it’s time to learn to live with COVID.
Reality check: Chinese doctors have warned Xi Jinping that the health system is unprepared for a major outbreak after strict anti-Covid measures are eased. the statements of financial periods🇧🇷
- Vaccines made in China which does not use the mRNA technology used by many produced by the West🇧🇷 It is not effective compared to what is done in the US, and vaccination rates among the elderly in China are alarmingly low.
- But the number of cases In China it is actually very low everywhere except China.
Big picture: “Zero COVID” restrictions have damaged the economy and undermined people’s trust in government.
- It’s a blatant face from the height of the pandemic. Then many Chinese felt that tight central control protected them better than any other governance model in the world.
- But it is very model this has put China in its current predicament. Xi has tied his reputation and the party’s legitimacy to the “zero COVID” success.
Between the lines: China’s leaders have made a huge, politically motivated mistake. They resisted the importation of Western-made mRNA vaccines (including Pfizer and Moderna) for their citizens. It was vaccines only recently made available to foreigners.
- Probably because of that Beijing’s big vaccine diplomacy push: Chinese officials touted their vaccines as the best and safest.
- It was politically unpalatableadmit that “defeat” and let the Chinese get more effective but Western-made strikes.